Sunday, August 23, 2009

Food, passion and fashion

I've balanced all the nature immersion of last weekend with a week of getting in touch with pop culture. I finally saw Julie and Julia -- and it exceeded all my expectations. It's the kind of film that leaves you smiling the whole evening, the kind that becomes the focus of your dinner conversation and leaves you inspired. Coming out of the theater I had the urge to strap on an apron and whip up some French recipes. Or at least eat lots of French recipes.

Meryl Streep is flawless. I'm not old enough to appreciate how impressive her portrayal of Julia Child is, but I can say that she, along with Amy Adams and pretty much the entire cast, is totally believable and delightful. The scenes highlighting how loud and goofy (yet friendly) we Americans come across in Europe were dead on. The transitions between Julia Child's life and Amy's succeed in being butter smooth. The lifelike chemistry between Julia and her sister made me want a sister, and all the Parisian scenes made me want to fly back to Paris.

I'd begun to think that maybe I was becoming too pretentious for my own good because my list of favorite movies seems to only include foreign films or socially conscious dramas. But this movie validates my preferences. I can appreciate a lighthearted, feel-good comedy if it has some quality and substance about it.

I also saw The Time Traveler's Wife, the kind of film that makes millions exploiting legions of romantically frustrated women. It has the same feel of The Notebook, and coincidentally also features Rachel McAdams. Something about watching her in the role of lead female in a mad love affair makes me want to be in a mad love affair. Generally the precocious children with witty lines in movies annoy me, but I found the little girl in this movie endearing rather than obnoxious. Holes plague the film's illogical plot, but that didn't stop me from shedding a few tears and imagining it was me instead of McAdams in the arms of the very attractive Eric Bana.

Not only did I spend hours in a dark theatre, but I also actually turned on a TV set to watch the premier of Project Runway. I absolutely could not miss it as my friend and roommate of last year, Carol Hannah, made it as a contestant. We don't have cable, so my parents and I crashed their friends' house. That required plodding through the living room where the senior group from the local Baptist church held their weekly round of card games to turn on Lifetime at 10 p.m. It felt a bit surreal seeing CH on TV with Heidi Klum and Lindsay Lohan. I remembered watching the show every week with her and my roommate Katie last year on the old futon in the living room of our apartment on Rutledge Avenue, rating our favorite looks onscreen and trying to quiet the cats Jack and Evita as they intermittently blasted across the room.

1 comment:

  1. made me laugh out loud. made me miss carol hannah. (strange!) and charleston. also made me consider watching the show. also, does it make you look unprofessional to have your blog littered with grammatically-incorrect comments?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.